Thursday, January 04, 2007

I'm all at Sea - Part 3...

On Board RORO Vessel 'Hartland Point' Somewhere In The South Atlantic...

Hello everybody out there in internet land.

I have been too busy learning how to be a ships watchdog to write my blog recently however I am enjoying my trip on the Hartland Point.

There is plenty of time for sleeping - and growing - do you think my waistline is getting bigger?

I have made a lot of new friends.
Some of them have tattoos.
I like tattoos.

I am thinking of getting one done when I get to Stanley. My bestest mate Gary told me it is like getting a microchip at the V.E.T.'s.

Perhaps Gary might like to get a microchip to match his tattoo?

About King Neptune...



When you cross the equator by sea, King Neptune holds court to see if you have been a good Basset or not. That sounded scarey really.

On New Years day, I was summoned before King Neptune!

He said I had been a naughty Basset and had me splashed with cream but fortunately it is my favourite!

After Gary had given me a nice warm bath(!) we had a barbeque where I helped everybody clean up their plates, including any left-over sausages, my favourite!

The next day I was excused duties for the day as I was exhausted and had to sleep and grow.

Only a few days before I arrive in the Falklands, I am really excited but I shall miss all my shipmates.

Signed: G. Jackson.
First Senior Watch Basset Hartland Point (1st SWB-HP)





From: "Hartland Point - Master"
To: "Richard Cockwell"
Subject: Jackson
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 09:16:00 +0000

Good morning Richard,

Just a quick update on what Jackson has been up to.

He is the first dog that I've ever had cross the line so the whole ceremony itself was a bit unusual.



He was charged with the following:

'You have been summoned to appear at this court presided over by KING NEPTUNE Monarch of all the Oceans, Seas and Creatures that dwell within.

After due diligence and testimony, the following charges have been brought against you, by the Chief Plod, head of the Hartland Point Plod Department (Tactical Weapons And Training Section) T.W.A.T.S. Unit, in that you:

1. Have repeatedly fallen asleep on watch on the Bridge, when assigned the task of Senior Watchdog.

2. Did cause irreparable damage to the Crew Christmas tree whilst trying to eat the decorations.

3. When having a complete open deck available and without thought or forethought, did use the Officer’s Salon as a toilet facility.

4. On numerous occassions have been responsible for the theft and subsequent chewing of footware of those onboard.

Upon hearing the charges, King Neptune will, after due deliberation, make judgement as to the truth and validity of these charges.

The Monarch’s decision as to whether the accused is guilty or innocent will be final and no appeal granted. If found guilty, the punishment will be pronounced by the Monarch, and will be effected immediately.'

"I find the above charges to be true in their content and well supported by overwhelming evidence."


King Neptune found him guilty of the above charges and a punishment was deemed appropriate.

On the attached pictures you will see that he was attacked with the galley slops, as were the other 3 offenders we had in the crew.



Luckily for Jackson he was given a dispensation from the really bad slops and got cream instead.



This he promptly licked off himself...



...after which...



Gary gave him a bath!!



After the ceremony we had a barbeque, at which Jackson was very active. So much so that he slept nearly the whole of the next day.

He has come alive a bit now. Unfortunately he has not been allowed ashore here in Ascension, so he hasn't been able to sample the delights of this wonderful island in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean.

We depart this afternoon for the Falklands, where after nearly a month at sea he will be able to set foot (paws?) on dry land again.

Will update you again before we get to the Falklands.

Best regards,
Dave Guy
Master

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Why is General Jackson not doing the dog watch? He might find the steering easier. Does he know that it is two barks for starboard lights and one for port lights or is it the other way round? How is a basset supposed to remember?